Sunday, August 10, 2008

What good is a public park if you can't have any fun in it?

A fourth Saturday in a row for me and NYC, yesterday, so again we have a NYC blog entry today.

I've written before about Bryant Park in NYC, and how it went from being overrun with drug dealers and homeless people to being a focal point for cultural activity in Mid-town Manhattan. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are lots of rules now associated with the place.

But no "drug use"? How much fun can the park be, really? I also love the hypocrisy of the rule against alcohol, which is that you can't consume any in the park. Unless, of course, you are paying $15 for a glass of wine at the adjacent BP Grill or BP Cafe. In that case, no problem!

And again we see the anti-pigeon campaign carried out. Seriously, what gives with New Yorkers and their hatred of our winged friends?

Finally, maybe it's the lawyer-in-me, but this sign begs the question: What is an "organized ballgame"? Does that mean my friends and I can go play ball there, as long as we don't look like we know what we're doing? Unclear. Aren't these kinds of laws "void for vagueness" or something?

No comments: