Monday, April 03, 2006

Ithaca, Auctions, and Road Kill

This Saturday I traveled 60 miles NE to Ithaca (home of Cornell University) to visit with a friend of mine from the Los Angeles Conservancy (she was doing some mentoring for her alma mater). I took sort of an alternate route up there, because I wanted to stop by the auction house and pre-screen the goods for the sale on Sunday. This meant that I took a 2 lane road the entire way up there. My goodness, I have never seen so much roadkill on U.S. highways! Three deer and several of what looked either like squirrels or possums, but it was hard to tell at that stage of splatter. THREE DEAD DEER!

There was no way I could be on the right track. It's only supposed to be about an hour drive from Binghamton to Ithaca, but I hadn't brought the directions. I tried to call John for some map assistance, but there was NO PHONE RECEPTION. This struck me as particularly funny because we were recently at the Verizon Wireless store, looking at a map of the US which showed Verizon's coverage area. Just about 99% of the country appeared "covered" and we had dismissed any gaps, thinking that they would never apply to us. Guessed wrong!

Just when I figured I was tragically off course, I started seeing roadkill with decreasing frequency, began to get radio reception again, and decided that civilization could not be far off. GEEZ. I made my way down into the gorgeous natural bowl that is home to Ithaca, and was greeted by bona fide TRAFFIC! OK, so it was only about 4 cars-worth, and 1/2 block long back-up, but I haven't seen that in a long time. :-)

No comments: