Sunday, May 13, 2007

When I die, I hope somebody finds a decent photo of me!














So I finally got John to upload our Italy photos (they are really amazing- if anyone wants to see all of them, just email me and I'll "share" them online) and now can blog about my thoughts on some of the stuff we saw there in March.

We both like things a little off-the-beaten-path, and after a couple of days wandering around Venice we were ready to branch out and get away from the tourists. Ever wonder where you go when you die in Venice? A city built on hundreds of islands and with no place to bury you? Well, I read about a "cemetery island" called San Michele, which (cool google map link here!) sits in the lagoon, right near the glass-blowing island of Murano.
We took a boat out there for and found an incredible gem: literally an island of solitude and tranquility amidst the craziness that is Venice. The thing that first struck me about all the tombstones is that virtually all of them have photos of the deceased on them. But the really funny thing is how freaking AWFUL the photos are. Check out the photo (above) of our dearly departed friend Elena D'Este.
Now, I don't speak Italian, but I'm pretty darn certain that this moustachioed person is a WOMAN, but who could tell from the photo? She looks pretty pissed off, in general, and I can see why- her descendants must have been pretty bad if this was the photo they chose for her to be remembered by.
Good God. Please, when I die, somebody track down one of my wedding photos or something from when I was young and relatively beautiful- not the photo from my 84th birthday when I'm about to take my dirt nap.

No comments: