Saturday, February 09, 2008

Snoop Dogg coming to Binghamton? FO' SHIZZLE!!!

Sometimes on a boring afternoon in my office, I go to the website for the local newspaper and check the "breaking news" section of the local newspaper, in the hopes that something interesting just might actually happen around here. Somebody "upstairs" must have known I was going nuts around here, when a couple days ago I hit upon what I truly thought must have been "reporting error" or something:

"Rapper Snoop Dogg to headline JC show


The rumor's fo' rizzle -- Snoop Dogg is coming to Magic City Music Hall for one night only, at 8 p.m. Feb. 24.

The rapper, producer, entrepreneur, actor, reality TV star and hip-hop personality was born Cordozar Calvin Broadus Jr., later became Snoop Doggy Dog and is now known as Snoop Dogg. He has been making a name for himself ever since he was discovered by Dr. Dre, leading to such releases as "What's My Name?" "Doggystyle" and "The Doggfather."

Snoop Dogg is known as one of the paragons of West Coast hip-hop and his most recent release is "The Blue Carpet Treatment," released November 2006 and featuring songs with titles that cannot be printed in a family newspaper. His latest effort, "Ego Trippin'," will be released in March.

Tickets go on sale at noon Saturday at Magic City, 365 Harry L Drive, Johnson City. Tickets are $30 in advance, $40 day of show.

Details: 729-2323 or www.magiccitymusichall.com"

WHAT? NOT POSSIBLE. Now, I'm not a huge rap fan. And I'm definitely not a fan of paying money to go see someone play music in some huge venue where I could have a better view by watching it on TV. But the venue- Magic City Music Hall- is local and tiny. And Snoop? He is HUGE and definitely transcends the rap audience. Plus, he's from the LBC, so we're, like, from the same 'hood and shizzle. As far as my security concerns, I'm still not totally sure about it, but I'm hoping that Snoop's love of The Herb is stronger than his love of the gin&juice and weapons, and that his fans will behave themselves.

I'll try not to make this blog too long, because there is a LOT to talk about already, but I must emphasize that it is sooooooo unusual that a performer as huge as Snoop Dogg would come to our area at all, much less to a little dumpy place that only holds max 1,300 people. And at $30 a pop? How is that possible?? So I honestly thought I must have read too quickly, that it was really a Snoop tribute band, or worse- a knock-off band like Snoopy's Dogg or some crap. Because THAT would have made sense. Despite our half-cocked attempt to use rap/urban music as an economic development tool, as I sit here with six tickets in my purse, I still cannot totally process the truth before me.

THE VENUE


It was (barely, in a tiny blip in the local paper) announced on Thursday that tix would go on sale on Saturday at noon at the venue, or online. But I was convinced that the online sales site would crash under the weight of the thousands of people logging on for the chance to see such a huge act, locally, for only $30, no less! I was determined to see the show, so I decided to go to the venue. Let's be clear- I've NEVER been one to camp out, for ANYTHING- not the latest Wii, not concert tix, nuttin'. So I decided I would make an exception and show up 3 hours early, guaranteed to take my place at the back of a huge line of University students and other wannabe gangstas.

Here in B-town? Not so much. You can see that when I arrived at 9 am, there was a grand total of ONE LONELY CAR in the sad little parking lot. And the chick looked PISSED that she had gotten there so early. So I left and got some coffee and a New York Times, only to return and find . . . ONE CAR.

THE "CROWD"


By around 10:30 am (only 1 1/2 hours to ticket sale time!), there were literally 5 people in line. I got out and chatted for a bit- they all seemed surprised that there was not a crowd, too. I asked "why are you not buying tickets online?" That question was greeted by the dull, drooling stare of those who have never ridden on the information superhighway. RIGHT. I forgot who I was talking to. Dumb question.

THE GUY


Although I mostly waited in the warm car, people started to show up in a trickle, so I got paranoid and got in line (yes, it WAS snowing, thanks for reminding me that I wasn't even wearing socks and people thought I was a freak and must be freezing. "I'm from Los Angeles" I said. Oh, that explained it, apparently. "Did you come here for the SHOW?" No, dumb ass, I did NOT come to Johnson City, New York to see Snoop, who is based in L.A.), I did have to park my ass on the cold ground (I sat on a book I'd brought, and read municipal planning documents, to the suspicious glares of my comrades-in-Snoop.)

But this one guy, he is a whole blog entry unto himself. I'll break here. Check the next entry, below, for my FAVORITE guy EVER. Fo' Rizzle.

No comments: